Friday, November 6, 2009

Interview


Miss Johnson's innovative teaching strategy tips

LouAnne Johnson apart from being a dedicated teacher, is really creative and versatile during her teaching lessons. During an interview we had with her, we could find out some of her efficient and innovative ways of teaching she applies for different kind of students and the results they have caused on their learning.

-Interviewer: Miss Johnson. How long have you been teaching at school?
-Miss Johnson: Well, I've been teaching at school for a little time. Actually, before being a teacher I used to be in the marine and did a lot of really different things than a regular teacher would ever do in his or her entire life. Ha, ha, ha, ha!
-Interviewer: I see. Why did you decide to become a teacher then?
-Miss Johnson: I decided to become a teacher because I wanted to improve students' education. They usually don't get a good education, you know, so I thought if I prepared myself enough as academically as psychologically, I'd be able to become the dedicated teacher I always wanted to be. I never wanted to be like a regular teacher. My idea was to be an educator who could break the rules but in a good way. I think it's worked with my students.
-Interviewer: I believe you've done a great job. Can you tell us some of your secrets?
-Miss Johnson: Well... I don't think I have a specific kind of secret or magic formula. I'm just a person trying to do her job in the best way she can.
-Interviewer: But, according to what we've heard, you do use certain teaching strategies. Can you tell us a little how they work?
-Miss Johnson: Ah! Well, sometime ago, I realized one of my students had dyslexia. He wasn't a bad student but he couldn't pass his reading proficiency tests. First, I let him know about the problem in person and then I talked to his mother. The staff who I work with and I provided him help and we are still working on the case. Our objective is to help every student that has some kind of learning disabilities to pass his or her subjects and therefore earn enough credits to graduate from high school. Besides, from now on, I'm teaching my class making my students identify what kind of learning style is more convenient for them to use.
-Interviewer: And how do you do that?
-Miss Johnson: I said to my students there are three learning styles: auditory, visual and kinesthetic. When they must do an activity, I explain it based on these three different styles to make them totally understand how to do this activity. For example, first I write the activity on the board for the people who are visual learners. Then, I say it aloud for the ones who are auditory learners and finally I give examples of it for the kinesthetic learners due to the fact that they learn by doing. I's been pretty useful for their learning and it's also helped them have a better performance in class. Now, nobody asks me to explain them again and over again about what they need to do.
-Interviewer: Amazing! You really are an excellent teacher. We really appreciate what you've shared with us and we hope other educators can follow your example. Thank you so much!
-Miss Johnson: My pleasure!

With this, we have concluded our interview and could know more about LouAnne Johnson and some of her innovative and efficient teaching techniques.

If you are thinking about being a teacher, you'd better bear in mind these tips in your head.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent interview. I really loved it.
    I think you are going to be a very good teacher for the reason that you applied some knowledge from linguistics and I really think this is something that show us that you really learn and you are capable of taking this knowledge into another area.
    Best wishes,
    Nicki :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a long interview, isn't it?
    It´s excellent!
    nice job!
    c'ya!

    ReplyDelete